Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Call for Memphis area artists from UrbanArt!

In 2007, members of NIA Artist Collective, frank d. robinson jr. (my bestie), Vitus Shell, Edwin McSwine and I were awarded a public art project from the Urban Art Commission. Our original artwork was produced, with the input of North Memphis residents and children, printed on tiles and installed on the Dave Wells Community Center, permanently.

I was recently asked what having my art, "Hopes and Dreams," exist vibrantly in Memphis means to me? My answer...everyday children from the community walk and hope to make it to their destinations safely. They live, for the most part, in painful realities with poor examples of possibilities for their lives. Now everyday those same children walk and see brown kids on a brown brick building donning hats of possibilities and I hope that seeing our artwork, my artwork, will finally empower them to dream.

SUPPORT THE ARTS. SUPPORT LOCAL ART ORGANIZATIONS AND GET INVOLVED WITH OPPORTUNITIES TO BE THE CHANGE YOU WISH TO SEE IN MEMPHIS!


UrbanArt and the City of Memphis are working together to create public art gateway projects in each of the 7 City Council districts. Sites were determined for their neighborhood interest, high visibility, and the potential for positive impact of urban design enhancements in each area.

The Budget for each gateway project is $100,000 and the deadline is 4:00PM Friday May 14, 2010 (no exceptions!). Fortunately (in my opinion) these 7 projects to enhance Memphis neighborhoods is only open to local Memphis and Shelby County artists!

For more information check out UrbanArt's blog at www.urbanartcommission.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment